New York governor urges remote work during massive rail strike: ‘Please work from home if you can, regular commuters’
(SeaPRwire) – A day-long negotiation session that concluded early Monday failed to prevent a strike that halted the Long Island Rail Road, North America’s largest commuter rail system, leading to a difficult start for about 250,000 commuters as they returned to work.
Unions representing rail workers and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which operates the railroad, continued negotiations throughout Sunday and into early Monday following intervention from the National Mediation Board and New York Governor Kathy Hochul. The two sides were unable to reach an agreement, though discussions were considered productive enough that negotiators agreed to resume talks at dawn on Monday, according to a union spokesperson. Even if a deal had been reached in time, the morning commute would have remained disrupted due to the time required to mobilize crews and trains.
The National Mediation Board, the federal agency overseeing labor relations for railroads and airlines, convened representatives from both sides for a meeting on Sunday afternoon, which initiated renewed negotiations. These talks extended until nearly 1:30 a.m. Monday, after which the parties agreed to reconvene just six hours later.
Earlier on Sunday, Hochul appeared alongside the MTA’s chief executive and stated that they were prepared to take any necessary steps to facilitate progress in the ongoing negotiations as the strike entered its second day.
“We all know that the railroad is the lifeblood of Long Island. Without it, life as we know it is simply not possible. The bottom line is, no one wins in a strike. Everyone is hurt,” she said. Hochul also offered to provide refreshments during the prolonged talks.
The nation’s busiest commuter railroad
The LIRR serves hundreds of thousands of commuters across a 118-mile (190-kilometer) stretch that includes parts of Brooklyn and Queens within New York City and extends eastward to the Hamptons, a renowned summer destination for affluent visitors. For decades, the railroad has provided a vital alternative to the city’s notoriously congested rush-hour highways.
Most riders reside outside New York City, primarily in two counties housing nearly three million people.
Following the news conference, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers and the Transportation Communications Union issued a statement asserting that their members “are not asking for special treatment — they are simply fighting to keep up with the skyrocketing cost of living in the New York region after years without a raise.”
The railroad shut down and workers went on strike at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, marking the first walkout by the LIRR workforce in 30 years after five unions representing approximately half of the system’s employees walked off the job.
Workers have gone years without a new contract
The unions and the MTA have been negotiating a new contract since 2023, but progress stalled over disputes regarding salary increases and healthcare contributions. President Donald Trump’s administration became involved in September after unions requested the appointment of a mediation panel, yet no resolution was achieved. The unions gained legal permission to strike starting at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.
During her press briefing, Hochul warned that striking workers would forfeit every dollar they would earn under a new contract over a three-day strike period.
MTA Chairman Janno Lieber stated at the news conference that the unions’ proposed demands would “blow up the MTA’s budget,” but he nonetheless supported the governor’s call for resuming negotiations.
“They chose to walk out. We’re more than willing to meet them halfway on wages,” he said.
Sports fans felt the pain first
The strike’s impact was especially felt by sports fans hoping to attend games featuring the Yankees and Mets or witness the Knicks’ playoff run at Madison Square Garden, located directly above the LIRR’s Penn Station hub in Manhattan. This marked the first major disruption for rail commuters since a two-day strike in 1994.
Federal law makes it difficult for rail workers to strike and allows Congress to intervene to block such actions, as it did with the nation’s freight railroads in 2022—but lawmakers took no such step in this case.
Throughout the weekend, would-be travelers were met with train departure boards displaying “ghost trains” labeled “No Passengers” instead of regular service schedules.
Hochul announced that essential workers among the roughly 250,000 daily LIRR riders could utilize buses traveling into the city from six locations on Long Island, beginning at 4 a.m. Monday and again during the evening rush hour from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Hochul and Trump blame each other for the strike
Hochul, a Democrat, has accused the Trump administration of prematurely ending mediation efforts in September and pushing the situation toward a strike. Trump, a Republican, denied responsibility on his Truth Social platform, writing:
“No, Kathy, it’s your fault, and now looking over the facts, you should not have allowed this to happen,” he said.
Hochul urged employers and agencies that rely on Long Island residents to allow their staff to work remotely whenever feasible.
“It’s impossible to fully replace LIRR service. So effective Monday, I’m asking that regular commuters who can work from home, should. Please do so,” she said.
The MTA has argued that the unions’ initial proposals for higher salaries would necessitate significant fare hikes and are disproportionate compared to pay levels for other unionized workers in the region.
The unions, which represent locomotive engineers, machinists, signalmen, and other train personnel, maintain that larger raises are justified to help workers cope with inflation and rising living expenses. ___
Associated Press writers Josh Funk in Omaha, Nebraska, and Christopher Weber in Los Angeles contributed.
This article is provided by a third-party content provider. SeaPRwire (https://www.seaprwire.com/) makes no warranties or representations regarding its content.
Category: Top News, Daily News
SeaPRwire provides global press release distribution services for companies and organizations, covering more than 6,500 media outlets, 86,000 editors and journalists, and over 3.5 million end-user desktop and mobile apps. SeaPRwire supports multilingual press release distribution in English, Japanese, German, Korean, French, Russian, Indonesian, Malay, Vietnamese, Chinese, and more.